Part 1: Small Group Literacy Skills Lesson Plan
With a certified special education teacher in an early childhood elementary (Grades K-3) inclusive setting, identify a small group of students who would benefit from a lesson plan reinforcing a literacy skill previously taught to them. Use the prompts below to help guide a discussion with the mentor teacher about each students development.
- What criteria does the mentor teacher use to assess the students literacy skill development and abilities?
- How does the mentor teacher assess individual and group progress?
- How does the mentor teacher modify instruction to meet student needs?
- What are examples of developmentally-appropriate learning experiences the mentor teacher has used to develop students literacy skills?
- Collaborate with the mentor teacher to design a complete standard- based lesson that meets the needs of the identified students, using the COE Lesson Plan Template. (Note: The literacy skills lesson will be implemented as part of Clinical Field Experience B.)
Special education teachers use knowledge of individual differences and diverse cultures and communities to make sure inclusive learning environments support each student to meet high standards. Planning, conveying, and adjusting instruction to address each students diverse learning strengths and needs creates opportunities for students to demonstrate their learning in different ways.
Part 2: Instruction and Intervention
Deliver the literacy skills lesson you developed with your mentor teacher in Part 1 to the group of students for whom it was designed. During instruction, informally assess the students, identifying those who are grasping the information and those who would benefit from additional intervention.
Collaborate with the mentor teacher to develop 2-3 interventions based on your informal assessment data to support one or more students continued skill development. Detail at least one intervention that can be incorporated in the inclusive classroom and at least one intervention to be utilized at home. Describe the roles of teachers/family members and the student in the description of each intervention.
Part 3: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon your experiences delivering the literacy lesson, informally assessing the students, and collaborating with the teacher to develop the additional interventions. Explain the interventions you developed and how you expect them to meet the needs of the students, incorporating their assessment results in your response. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
You are required to submit this assignment to turnitin.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form to the learning management system the last topic.
Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.
Is this the question you were looking for? Place your Order Here