Assignment Standard 1.05 from the NASW Code of Ethics Cultural Awareness
Post a response to the following:
· Briefly identify and describe your culture.
· Describe your first memory of a cultural difference.
· Explain the information a social worker would need to know about an individual’s or family’s culture in order to effectively deliver services to them.
· Describe potential consequences of a lack of cultural awareness on the social worker’s part.
Requirement in the assignment
To prepare assignment
· Consider the different aspects of culture such as: language, communication style, art, customs/traditions (e.g., holidays, weddings, funerals), values, stories, religion, food, social habits (e.g., eye contact, how close one stands, how one greets or says “good”), gender roles, clothing, music.
· Reflect on the first time you remember someone else displaying a different cultural characteristic than your own. Where were you? What did you notice? How did you respond?
· Read Standard 1.05 from the NASW Code of Ethics:
1.05 Cultural Awareness and Social Diversity(a) Social workers should understand culture and its function in human behavior and society, recognizing the strengths that exist in all cultures.(b) Social workers should have a knowledge base of their clients' cultures and be able to demonstrate competence in the provision of services that are sensitive to clients' cultures and to differences among people and cultural groups.(c) Social workers should obtain education about and seek to understand the nature of social diversity and oppression with respect to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, political belief, religion, immigration status, and mental or physical ability.(d) Social workers who provide electronic social work services should be aware of cultural and socioeconomic differences among clients and how they may use electronic technology. Social workers should assess cultural, environmental, economic, mental or physical ability, linguistic, and other issues that may affect the delivery or use of these services
Is this the question you were looking for? Place your Order Here